All of these articles have been written by members of the AOL underground for this site or have given us permission to post their work here. All of the information is accurate to the best of our knowledge. However, if you notice an error in any of the articles please contact the webmaster (firstname.lastname@example.org) and let us know.
Submit Your Own
Want to write an article? We would love it! After being reviewed by the staff your article would be posted on the main page and all the site's visitors would see it. If you are just beginning on AOL but you know something interesting or have some special skill and you want to get your reputation started then this is a good way to do it.
Status of the Exploits
Understand that all of the screenname exploits as well as the other major exploits and loop holes are inactive unless otherwise stated. All of these are intended to teach you about AOL's flaws and past exploits.
Creating Fake Accounts by Cam0
- Another method of creating fake accounts using a new feature of AOL.
Suspended Screenname Exploit by Cam0
- This exploit allows anyone with a suspended account and password can turn that deactivated name into an AOL account.
Deleted Screenname Exploit by Cam0
- Learn how to turn deleted AIM accounts into AOL accounts.
Suspended AIM to AOL by J
- This exploit allows you to make suspended AOL instant messenger screen names into AOL accounts.
- How AIM names are being stolen by a loophole in the AOL 2.7 client on Macintosh systems and Hypah's action with it.
Indents and AIM Stealing by BMB
- The greatest AIM exploit that there has every been discovered by BMB for use on PCs. In this article he lays out step by step how to make indented screennames and how to steal any AIM screenname.
Restricted Screennames by Tau
- Also called the r2k exploit, this exploit allowed regular AOL members to make screennames with restricted strings in them like Host, Guide, AOL, etc. This was done via a flaw in free.aol.com.
- Hours after AOL added a new feature to its screenname creation process that allowed users to choose words to assemble a screenname, a new exploit was discovered that allowed users to make screennames with restricted strings after the 10th character of a screenname.
Making Unlimited AIM Names In a Day by Rogers
- Changing your IP address allowed the creation of unlimited AIMs in one day; only two are allowed.
Creating "Dead" Screennames by Tau
- Deleting a screenname then switching to it before it was deleted from the system allowed you to be on a dead, aka ded, screenname.
FAQ Regarding the Screenname System by Dracs
- Information regarding AOL's screenname functions.
- A list of words that cannot be included in a screenname.
Screenname Formatting by Tau
- How to add spaces and capitalization to your AOL and AIM screennames using AIM's Format Screenname feature.
Screenname System FAQ 1995 by The Knight
- Information on the Screenname Process 1995.
About Restricted Screennames by The Knight
- Information about restricted screennames such as releasing screennames, who releases screennames, the screenname system, etc.
- Forum Names and the screenname prefixes associated with them.
Creating One and Two Character Names by The Knight
- This article explains how one and two character screennames have been created in the past.
- How screennames with AO1 and TO5, both restricted prefixes, were made.
Tips & Tricks
Profile Enhancement by Tau
- How to add color and style to profiles by inserting HTML tags.
Roll Dice in Chats by Tau
- Simple roll dice command as well as more complicated forms of it.
Chat Exit Trick by Tau
- How to stay in a chat room up to 20 minutes after signing offline.
OnlineHost Error by Tau
- Sending a specific FDO stream would create an OnlineHost error in the chat room.
Creating "On AOL Only" Links by Rob
- Adding a specific string before the URL in a link would produce an "On AOL Only" subtitle to links.
Creating Blocked Chat Rooms by Rob
- Entering restriced named rooms.
CL Pin Exploit by Tau
- An AOL staff page required the user to put in his or her screenname and pin. A cracker was made and CL pin numbers were being cracked.
Quick Checkout Loophole by Tau
- Sending a series of tokens invoked a form with random Quick Checkout member's account information.
- The OnlineHost's name could be changed by hex editing AOL 2.5's chat.aol file.
Cloning by Tau
- How to sign on more than one screenname by opening two AOL clients.
Sign on Screen Editing by Tau
- Edit the screennames on AOL's sign on screen by editing the main.idx file.
- Information about loading an AOL tool more than once.
A Technical View of the AOL Interior by Jigoy
- Take a tour of how the America Online system really works, everything from networking to accounts.
The Numerics of Screennames and Passwords by Fafalone
- This article written by Fafalone explains the number of possible screenname and password combinations for an AOL and an AOL Instant Messanger screenname. It becomes apparent while reading this that cracking a random password on any name is next to impossible.
AOL Prank Phone Call by Tau
- If you haven't heard this prank phone call before, then you're missing out. It's a must download. You'll be laughing all the way through. Check it out.
Resource Editor by Tau
- With the Resource Hacker program you can edit AOL's images including the splash screen and other!
AOL vs. Microsoft by Ranma
- Ranma's take on the internal memo found by Viowatch.
Solving Problems by Tau
- AOL document given to its employees.
AOL Mail Exploit by Tau
- Craig's discovered that by editing the URL of the AOL Mail page he could send mail from any screenname...
How to write TOD files by Lummox
- Lummox explains the uses of TOD files as well as how to program your own.
Account Numbers by Tau
- An explanation of what account numbers are and how you can get yours.
AOL.de Hacked by Rob
- The main AOL site for germany was hacked monday morning (02/26/01)...
Keywords Hacked by BMB by Tau
- BMB edited over 100 keywords from a compromised internal account Friday (02/23/01)...
Binary Tutorial by Tau
- Learn how to convert base 10 numbers that you are familiar with into base 2 (binary) numbers which consist of 0's and 1's.
Base X Tutorial by Tau
- Learn how to convert from base 10 numbers into any base.
- Examine Object Information Example
Etiquette by Tau
- Tau's old opinions of how to act and behave properly on AOL. His ideas have changed since this article was written.
Viowatch Strikes Again by Tau
- Viowatch e-mailed Digital City CL's telling them that they have been fired. They believed him...
Fafalone's AOL Tech Log by Tau
- Fafalone's chat log with an AOL Tech regarding AOL issues.
An AOL Halloween True Horror Story by Duckers55
- One member's tale of his encounter with America Online.
AOL Client Versions by BMB
- A list of version numbers for Windows AOL clients.
Add Buddies by Tau
- This code will go to the Buddy List setup and all all of a user's buddies to a listbox.
Rename the Recycle Bin by Tau
- Edit the registry item where the name of the Recycle Bin is stored.
History Change by Tau
- Delete selected items from the toolbar history box.
Billing Summary by Tau
- This will add up the time each screen name on a account have been online and display it for the user.
Binary Conversion by Tau
- This form converts into and out of binary code with options to send chat as well as other useful options.
VB to HTML by Tau
- This will color code VB code to the appropriate HTML color.
- From what I can tell it is the AOL 3.0 chat room code.
- The agreements between AOL and its members governing member use of the AOL service.
- This generic consulting agreement is for use with consultants who will be providing ongoing services, e.g., management or review services in connection with an online area.
- This Service Level Agreement (SLA) sets out the standard of service that Cable & Wireless Communications Services Limited (CWC) will provide to American Online Incorporated (AOL).
- Confidentiality agreement for CRIS users.
AOL's Domain Names by AOL
- A list of domain names obtained by AOL one way or another.
- Learn how to write proper file description for AOL's software libraries.
- Procedures that TOSAdvisor follows when contacted by AOL Executives.
America Online Logos by AOL
- The dos and don'ts of creating AOL logos
AOL Technical Glossary by BMB
- Some commonly used terms in AOL.
AOL Class Names by Tau
- Learn how to distinguish between the 34 different AOL classes with picture examples of each.
The Basics of America Online with the SecurID Card by The Knight
- How SecurID on AOL works.
Viewrules by AOL
- A list of over 2,000 active viewrules.
- Written back in 1996. Talks about AOL's various subsystems.
AOL Staff Security by Format
- Describes information on SecurID and CRIS.
Introduction to RAINMAN by AOL
- Learn about RAINMAN.
RAINMAN Glossary by AOL
- Some commonly used RAINMAN-related terms.
Viewing RAINMAN IDs by AOL
- Article on using ID View rights