Your MSN Messenger Activity is an HTML-based application that is exposed as part of the MSN® Messenger client. When developing your Activity, keep the following developmental considerations in mind:
- The MSN Messenger client requires potential users of your Activity to have Microsoft® Internet Explorer version 5.01 installed (at a minimum).
- The MSN Messenger client will display your Activity with a maximum window size of 500 by 500 pixels.
- The MSN Support team requires you to include a Help link in your application so that users have easy access to assistance.
- The Activity application programming interface (API) fixes packet size at 1,664 bytes and a maximum bandwidth of 120 packets per minute (two per second), so you may need to review bandwidth usage of your application during your application testing.
- If your Activity requires the installation of an ActiveX® control, you must request permission from the MSN Support team before implementing this ActiveX control. The ActiveX control must also be signed. If the user chooses not to install the ActiveX control, the application must provide a clear error message.
Note More information about ActiveX controls (including information about designing secure ActiveX controls) can be found on the ActiveX Controls page within MSDN.
For more information about development testing of your Activity, see Testing an Application.